Bellower of Fortune

On Saturday night, I was enjoying myself at a party. Between conversations, I observed the typically illogical party dynamics that often hamper those sorts of events.

For instance, when I arrived everybody was clustered in a small sitting room. There were 5 or 6 people playing a game, and about 10 people standing (there was no extra seating available) around them watching them play the game.

While this might be thrilling for some, it didn’t exactly push my buttons.

To me, this seemed to be groupthink at its worst. I’m sure that at first there were just a few people there so they started playing a game to alleviate awkwardness (rather than wallow in it, as I would have liked). As other people arrived, groupthink apparently dictated: “Though there are several larger empty rooms with comfortable seating available, we must instead congregate in this smaller room and stand silently while observing these people play games.”

I got there and joined a few friends in going into the other rooms to sit down. When I’m at parties like this, I have a strange tendency to gravitate towards the smallest cluster of people available and stay there. I’m not particularly proud of this. I think it has something to do with my desire to dominate a small group of people and lead them in an bloody but heroic insurrection against their larger oppressor.

At any rate, the party was a blast, and I enjoyed being in party mode again. I was talking with a lot of people, joking around, laughing, and enjoying everybody’s company. Those who have known me for a long time will remember that this used to be my sole mode of existence. And it wasn’t always generous – quite often parties would end up with me shouting loudly as everybody listened to me belligerently drone on about Jeremy the Perfect Boyfriend or whatever else I was making fun of at that point. At the time, I enjoyed those evenings, but now when I look back I remember a lot of people being quiet and looking quizzically at me. Perhaps my fascist bellowing wasn’t as witty and clever as I thought it was at the time…

Nah. I bet it was awesome.

This entry was posted in Rants. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Bellower of Fortune

1. Alexis says:

“Yes, that was a nice party wasn’t it?” thank you for explaining the “ladder theory”. Perhaps next time rather than talking about relationships and dating our topic of conversation can be about the decline in the number of mortuary science graduates and the impact this will have on our aging society? (just a little something I saw in the paper yesterday). Please discuss amongst yourselves. Later

That is definitely a topic that should be discussed at a party where people sit upright, cross their legs and speak quietly while eating toasted breads with jam and tea.

3. Alexis says:

I agree. This topic is paramount to our ability to function as a civilized society. I find it quite disquieting that we have not discussed this before.

4. Alexis says:

P.s. By the way, thanks for your comment on my website guestbook. I just updated some of the images this weekend so feel free to take another peak. =)

5. Geof says:

Peter:

You’re not the only one who will find a small cluster of people and dominate it. Conquer, baby, conquer!

I enjoyed being really loud–

“HEY MY DAD DIED TODAY!!!”

Oh, and i must say that I am jealous of your blog, peter— Lexus rarely comments on my blog..

Adam<——— boring

8. Alexis says:

What was that, Adam? I’ve visited your blog twice today and you haven’t anything posted for me to comment on. Oh, I’m quite perturb by these callous accusations.

9. Burt Reynolds says:

Get used to the callous accusations, Alexis. These attempts to provoke will not end until life itself ends. Embrace the accusations as you have so gracefully championed awkwardness!!

Party Groupthink: totally. In high school, I also tended to be the counteractive energy to groupthink, but I didn’t have necessary “selling skills”: very few people were persuaded to subscribe to my new groupthink attempts. This continuing phenomenon might have safely classified people like me as loners, but for my faithful and petite group of like-minded recluses, who related to each other’s inability to “sell” great ideas.

So that’s the story of my life, before I became a famous person.

Sincerely,
    Burt Reynolds

Alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllexis!!!!!

No acusations here… Just jealousy :)

lol – I love the formality of everybody’s language on this blog (including my own). It’s hilarious.

12. Burt Reynolds says:

I beseech you to offer virtual toasted breads and jams if you’re going to host a blog that harbors this degree of formality.

13. Burt Reynolds says:

I just beseeched both Adam and Peter!

My dear Mr. Reynolds,

I note with great displeasure that you have characterized me as accusatory. What jabberwocky is this? In all my years of knowing you and sitting through the drudgery of such films as “kindergarten cop” you would think I would have come under the umbrella of your affection.

15. Alexis says:

Adam – great usage of the word “jabberwocky”! All I can say is “WOW”. P.S. if you haven’t noticed I have commented on your blog. =)

16. Burt Reynolds says:

I don’t remember doing that movie.

Burt-
    Are you ever going to have a reunion of one of my favorite TV shows of all time, Evening Shade?

I forgot… it was Cop and a Half. My appologies, Burt, for mistaking you with that poor excuse of a governor.

20. karlquick says:

On an unrelated note, I must submit that I am quite disappointed in your blog, Peter, as you have not covered John Larroquette’s most recent project. This is the John Larroquette Project is it not?

As I was perusing blockbuster.com for a movie to rent I encountered a certain “Beethoven’s 5th” starring–you guessed it–the venerable John Larroquette.

I should like to see a movie review seeing as how this is in fact the “John Larroquette Project.”

P.S. Was anyone even aware that they made a Beethoven’s 4th movie?

21. Burt Reynolds says:

I was not aware of that, (Mister Quick, is it?) and I am a successful film star! How interesting. I, as well, should like to read a review about John’s most recent project, although I am quite familiar with numbered movies as I have starred in at least five.

Sincerely,
    Burt Reyonlds
    *For my most recent projects, including informaion on my famous “One Man Show”, visit my official website at http://www.burtreynolds.com!*

22. MJ says:

Peter, I thought my life was complete when you successfully linked me to Kevin Bacon within 6 degrees, but then one our parties became the setting for a blog, wow, I am complete, You complete me!

Quickert- I will be discussing the acting dominance of John Larroquette in a future blog entry.

Burt- Your website is perfect.

Mike – You had me at hello.