Birthday Improvisations

It’s my wife’s birthday today!

I’m in big trouble!

Last year for Bridgette’s birthday, I proposed marriage. As birthday gifts go, it was a grand slam struck with such authority that the opposing pitcher cried out in shame and immediately fell on his broadsword upon the pitcher’s mound. That’s how good a gift it was. It was better than a diamond-encrusted lawnmower.

What am I supposed to do this year? How could I possibly follow that up? Why have I waited until the morning of her birthday to address these issues? Should my gift be the opportunity to race me in a 100-meter dash? Should I offer to involve her in a special birthday argument? Might I give her a check for $150 out of our joint checking account? Am I totally screwed here?

Maybe I could give her something homemade. Something like a pair of pants that I could make here at school out of construction paper and staples. Would she like that? Unfortunately, I just realized that I don’t know her size. Idiot!

I think that what I’ll do is try to run out the clock, so to speak. I’ll assure Bridgette that I definitely have a gift prepared for her, and that it is most assuredly the greatest gift that she has ever received in her life. I will then attempt to continue to change the subject all evening until we finally go to sleep and I am off the hook until next year. There is virtually nothing wrong with this plan whatsoever.

She better get me something awesome for my birthday though.

This entry was posted in Ramblings. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Birthday Improvisations

A gift card for “Peter Time” (And yes…I shamelessly rip off a Friends “Joke” today…I can go to bed knowing I have…uh…something). Don’t wives always appreciate that more than expensive gifts?

2. MJ says:

Buy her a house!

3. Tami says:

I gave her an air conditioner for her birthday…although until I read your blog, the date escaped me and I didn’t say Happy Birthday to her at lunch today…am I in trouble too?

4. Kevin S. says:

Spoken like a true Realtor, MJ.

Here’s my idea. For dinner, have her close her eyes. She will open them to find a broccoli and cheese Hot Pocket pastry, fully cooked, with a single candle. Stare lovingly into her eyes, until she finally broaches the subject of a gift. Then you get huffy, and say “well, I wanted it to be a surprise.”

Then give her a jigsaw puzzle and storm off to the bar.

you could give her a card that says someone donated a gift to the human fund in her honor.

or, just give her a kiss on the cheek, and when she asks “that’s it?” just exclaim in shock “what! i gave you a diamond ring last year! i think that counts for at least 5 birthdays.”

6. Chara's mom says:

Why don’t you bake her a cake or something?
    Then maybe she’d even go to prom with you.

How about a swift kick in the rear.

That was harsh Roger.

I think you should have gotten her the Auryn from the Neverending Story. It’s really what every girl wants.