Willem.

One of my students died last night.

Willem was an 18 year old kid who was unfailingly polite with a moppy blond afro that belied his brave, goofy spirit. He died from an accident in his home. It wasn’t a suicide.

He was set to give a persuasive speech about the effects of outsourcing for my current affairs class. Knowing him, it would have been idealistic, while at the same time a bit cynical and frank. Willem was still working out a worldview for himself, like most high school seniors are. I’ll miss getting to hear his thoughts.

My favorite memory of him was a couple years ago when my school reserved a section at a Twins game so students and staff could go together. Willem was from the Netherlands, and had only been in the States for a couple months, so he was totally lost watching baseball. I got to sit by him and explain balls and strikes and the rules of the game to him until he left during the 7th. It was a fun night for me. The next day, he asked, “Who won the match, Mr. Welle?”. I told him, “They’re called games, Willem, and the Twins lost, so you should act more bummed out.”

I’ve been thinking about that night a lot this morning.

If you think of it today, pray for Willem’s family and friends, that they can make some sense out of this.

Thanks guys.

This entry was posted in Sincerity. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Willem.

1. matt says:

Peter, I have heard the news and your entry is a good way to remember his life. I only knew Willem a little bit, but what I knew of him he was a great person and his life and death should serve as a reminder to all of us to not take for granted how precious life is. My thoughts go out to everyone at ISM.

Thanks for the thoughts, Matt. I’m glad you heard the news.

Hope you’re good, buddy.

3. Christine says:

Oh, Peter, this must be unbearable for everyone. I’m so sorry. I’ll be praying for your school, and for Willem’s friends and family.

4. Ted says:

I will be sure to offer a pray for all. How you holding up Peter?

Wow. Thanks for writing this.

I feel really sad, basically. I’m glad the school day is done now. I don’t want to make it any more dramatic than it is – I just feel so bad for his family. I’ve been praying a lot throughout the day, which has been a comfort.

Apparently Willem’s death was a result of his intentionally choking himself while he was alone to get a euphoric high.

Sad, awful stuff.