Dandelion Babies

Do you remember when we were kids, and we used to pick dandelions on warm summer afternoons?
dandelion2.jpg

Remember how we’d flick the flower off the stem with our thumb and say, “Momma had a baby and its head popped off!”

Yeah…

That was more than just a little messed up, wasn’t it?

I mean seriously, Momma had a baby and its head popped off?! This was cause for serious concern and alarm, not an excuse for some morbid botanical re-enactment. Momma must have been having a very hard time grieving this tragedy, yet there we were, callously beheading dandelions like they were medieval gypsies.

Oh well. I guess this children’s rhyme is obsolete now that the Supreme Court has banned partial birth abortion.

This entry was posted in Ramblings. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Dandelion Babies

1. Chimp says:

My mom’s head popped off when she had my sister. But the doctor sewed it back on.

2. tomhipps says:

i don’t remember that little rhyme at all. we used to rub dandelions on each other’s chins to see if that person liked butter. but enough of that… i can’t believe you didn’t blog today about the voting off of Sanjaya!!! what were people thinking??!!!

3. tomhipps says:

sorry to do that again, peter. now everyone will be commenting on Sanjaya rather than dandelions. i can hear what you’re thinking: “if he always wants to talk about something other than what i’m talking about, why doesn’t he start his own damn blog?!”
    simple answer: it’s easier to use yours.

All comments pertaining to Sanjaya will be mercilessly deleted by me.

5. tomhipps says:

did Mary Tyler Moore really die? kevin’s blog said so but i don’t see it anywhere else online.

oops, sorry peter, i did it again. well, at least it wasn’t about Sanjaya.

I also couldn’t find anything about Mary Tyler Moore. Is Kevin playing us?

I was going to comment earlier Peter that I remember that saying when I was younger. My sibling and the neighborhood kids spent many a day running around saying “Momma had a baby and it’s head popped off”. It’s amazing how far these sayings travel. Maybe it’s just a saying particular to our age group; or maybe it’s carry down from the times of Moses when all male children were killed. The world may never know.

7. former stalker-girl says:

no news about MTM on anything I’ve seen yet, Kevin’s gotta be messing with us~

as for the Dandelions…..I remember popping the heads off and saying that AND I remember rubbing them under chins to “see if you like butter”

I won’t mention names but in regards to Tom’s apparently forbidden comment…..I just have to say halle-freakin-lujah!!! )

8. tomhipps says:

what did you say about halle berry? what’s she got to do with it?

9. just a girl says:

Stan Daniels died – he was a writer for the Mary Tyler Moore Show and co-creator and executive producer of Taxi

10. former stalker-girl says:

tom-you’re a geek!

11. tomhipps says:

…but a loveable geek, no? (just like poor you-know-who!)

12. former stalker-girl says:

oh, of course :)

(awww)

13. Stan Daniels says:

What the hell are you talking about?

14. Ed Asner says:

You’re dead Stan. You died yesterday.

15. j says:

so where did “momma had a baby and it’s head popped off” come from? what is the origin or this morbid ryhme? anyone know?