Bee Delights

Fear not, everyone! The bees are most assuredly not disappearing.

Bee sure to conceal your anus from the bees!

I have found them. They are in my house.

On Sunday afternoon, Bridgette and I returned from a short cabin retreat to find our basement window teeming with yellowjackets. This was in no way unnerving. I’ll level with you people, spending 30 minutes in longsleeves and a winter hat swatting and sucking up bees with a vaccuum cleaner wasn’t the most enjoyable thing I’ve ever done. A few hours later, another batch of those yellow-striped bastards popped up, but this time I was much less hesitant. Choosing to forego the protective wear, I blasted the bees back to hell with my berzerker attack, swirling in a counter-clockwise motion while snipping scissors and barking obscenities.

This was a tactical error on my behalf, and led to numerous stings across my upper body, including one directly into my left retina.

This morning, an elderly, pot-bellied exterminator visited our home and sprayed the yellowjackets to kingdom come. Hopefully I will return this evening to find a basement riddled with crunchy bee carcasses. I will then feed them to Ben Franklin, our cat, to increase his hit points and vitality.

See you in hell, bees.

This entry was posted in Ramblings. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Bee Delights

1. tim hopps says:

i hope he let a couple of bees survive. lately i’ve been stirring honey into my coffee rather than sugar. try it, it’s yummy!

Unfortunately not all bees make honey. Yellow jackets just make annoyance.

You should have used a flame thrower. That would have solved the problem.

4. Jeff H says:

This post gives me the jibblies. Wait, here they come again… :the jibblies:

5. tim hopps says:

well, if we’re going to get all scientific (see sarah’s comment), i don’t think the photo on the blog is of yellow jackets. i believe the pictured bees ARE making honey, honey!

i relish the opportunities to murder stinging insects. the unsuspecting wasps that like to forge nests around my house have no idea what’s coming until the liquid death produced from a can of Raid hits them.

7. tim hopps says:

i’ve had crickets in my basement. one night i was watching tv at night and i could hear one chirping… figuring it was unlikely that todd luker was hiding in my basement, i found the chirping kind of charming. then as the days passed, it got louder and louder. eventually i started actually SEEING them… first one, then several, hopping around like they owned the place. one actually jumped on me. no longer charming in the least. like you scott, i relished fumigating the basement with a can of Raid. later i vacuumed up all their little corpses and didn’t feel a bit sorry.

Well…if we must be real scientific… Yellow Jackets are wasps, not bees.

It’s all Peter’s fault for posting a misleading picture.

10. ed says:

Throughout the past year, I have exterminated no less than 9 wasp nests in and around my house. One such extermination required me to create an ad-hoc “bee suit”, because the nest was very large and the location of the nest forced me to be right next to it before I could spray it with raid. I used two sweatshirts, two pairs of pants, boots, gloves, duct tape, and a mesh baseball cap. I put the mesh of the baseball cap over my face, then pulled my hood over my head and drew the hood cords very tight, so that I could see out a small hole protected with mesh. It was awesome.

Ed, were your sweatshirts bright yellow with duct tape stripes ofr camouflage effect?