The Melliflouous Strains of Children’s Coerced Singing

In hindsight, I recognize that Friday’s post was a little more vivid than it probably should have been. I hadn’t intended for it to end up so troublingly sensuous, and I apologize. I won’t ever blog in the shower again.

I think all of us could go with a little bit more reconciliation and a little less disturbing description for a while.

Sing with me, if you will.

Ah, here’s an old children’s favorite. Let’s begin:

Sunshine and rainbows and wildflower wishes
These are the things that make happiness real
Hopscotch and potlucks and child safety scissors
You should never tell what your uncle did

Honeydew and acorns and ring-around-the rosie
Let us join hands ’round the old bonfire
Gumdrops and licorice and salt water taffy
Martin Luther King became a dandelion when he died

May a bountiful spirit of renewal fill your step with gaity today, boys and girls! Let this bouncing melody and these eternal words light your way through the dark riddles of hate and free trade agreements!

This entry was posted in Ramblings. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Melliflouous Strains of Children’s Coerced Singing

1. Peter Henry says:

The lyrics all checked out, but you spelled “gaity” wrong. But I guess some people just aren’t up on accuracy.

2. i thought it was just supposed to be a camping trip…

Damn you, uncle Rodney!

i read the old favorite to the tune of “A Few of My Favorite Things” and it actually worked out. now i’ll never be able to watch The Sound of Music the same way again.

5. Ted says:

Scott.
    How often were you watching The Sound of Music before this post?

Ted…usually i wake up at 4 am to watch it before work. then i usually put it on at night to go to sleep by. how many times have you seen it? i always pictured you as more of a Mary Poppins fan.

7. Ted says:

Big time! man you know me so well. Although I don’t have the true grit that you do.

8. tim hopps says:

“True Grit”! now THERE’S a great movie. best scene/line in any western ever, when john wayne, a patch over one eye, a rifle in one hand and a pistol in the other, prepares to ride full speed across the field straight at the enemy gunman: “FILL… YOUR… HANDS… YOU SONOFABITCH!! and off he goes. also starring Glen Campbell and Kim Darby, a 60’s sweetheart who kind of disappeared. (you could say the same of Glen Campbell actually)