The Escape!

Hot off our atrophied editing computer, here is a new Rock TV, squeezed fresh for you!

In the writing stage, we saw this as a chance to have some fun with stuff going on in the culture of the Rock, and riff on the horrible feeling you get when you realized that you’re stuck at a crappy party. I think the general idea is solid, and a lot of the bits make me laugh, but in all honestly, this will never be one of my favorite Rock TVs. Frankly, I’m happy to already be on to our next video.

Why isn’t this one of my favorites? This was a long and troubled shoot. That manifests itself in the general aesthetic ugliness of the video and the fact that this party appears to be attended by 6 people during the daytime hours. I’m in this video a fair amount, and I feel like I was boisterously overacting to compensate for the other issues we were having – at some points it works, but at other points my character seems disconnected from reality. For technical and writing reasons, this one seems to confuse people – it’s sometimes difficult to follow (this wasn’t helped when it played at the Rock and the sound was atrocious). The editors went to great lengths to tighten up the video to the brisk (too brisk?) pace it ended up at.

Having said all that, there is stuff in here that I like a lot. When Christine opens the door on Jim nursing the cat, the look on his face is priceless. It’s like he’s assessing his life at that moment and doesn’t like what he sees.

Jim's shame.

I always enjoy watching Jordan cruelly disregard Kia’s heartfelt prayer request and then shove Kevin out of the way. The dark, sordid moment midway through the video between two characters from Rock TVs past was a goofy one, and I’m glad it ended up in the video. We also had a lot of fun shooting the ending by the back gate, we did an alternate version where the party-goers became zombies, which was both funnier and even more confusing than it sounds.

Anyway, enough post mortem. Enjoy the video, or don’t. Either way, it’s done, and the ministry is on to the next one, coming your way in late May/early June.

This entry was posted in Rock TV. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Escape!

Freaky. Have you read Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti’s “House”?

I can’t speak for everyone, but I don’t think anyone has. I’m glad its thought of as “freaky” though.

I think I will like this one, Peter–just because I learned a lot about production on it. I think it is one those that helped me turn a corner in what to do and not to do when editing scenes, adding music, and making adjustments for the next shoot. I can’t wait to show up for the next one so I can put to work what I learned.

And I think your overacting is what makes it funny.

Adam, I think probably the single most positive thing for this ministry that came out of this video was your emergence as an important part of the editing team. I think I had been carrying way too much of that load (by my own volition, I should add).

4. Christine says:

Peter, I was talking with Ann yesterday about the video. She missed the beginning, where the premise was explained, so she saw the video as being like a ViewMaster segment, but it was the whole video.

I thought that was interesting. The video was funny, it just doesn’t seem to mean anything plot-wise.

Sharing your view of this being not a favorite of mine, I will say that it seemed to get a fair amount of laughs at church – people were in a good mood, which boded well for us. And Mark laughed!

5. ted says:

Jonathon’s I don’t have any cash line will be my favorite line for quite some time.

6. Guy Incognito says:

Mark always laughs. :)
    My favorite line was Christine’s, “It’s pretty bad.”

7. sarah says:

I loved the dark sordid moment with Count Awkward and Beaker.
    I think it did truly capture the feeling of being trapped at a crappy party for someone you don’t know.
    I also laughed at Kevin in a clown suit.