The Christdome

Return to my bosom, wayward teens, and feed upon the nurturing milk of this new Rock TV!

I’m pleased with how this one turned out. I think the gags are consistent, and the message works pretty effectively. Certainly, as a Christian and as a parent, I can relate to the impulse to create a “safe” cocoon inside our home or small community safe from the crappiness of our neighborhood or the attitudes of our society in general, yet that certainly is not how we are called to live as Christians. That’s the tension that supports what’s happening in this video and the concept of a Christdome. That, and the unhelpful phenomenon of creating “Christian” versions of secular products and establishments, generally to the benefit of nobody. In fact, for some Christians, these distractions can actually suck up all the oxygen in the room to the point where they don’t even exercise their own prayer life and relationship with God anymore because they’re so busy with these distracting peripheral issues.

Hopefully, we also made the video funny enough along the way, so those themes go down easy.

Stray thoughts:
-I don’t know if we maximized its potential, but the “Christian Muppet Babies” bit is a definite favorite of mine.

-The myriad fist bumps and soul patches comes out of a number of interactions I’ve had with various pastors (not my own) who, in an attempt to be “relevant”, utilize such measures. To me, fist bumps and soul patches signify “Christian hip” (not a compliment).

-I went way overboard during the shoot with extended fist bumps and overeager grabbing of my co-actors, and we had to carefully scale that stuff back in the editing stage. Unfortunately, that results in a few awkward edits, but whatever. I just need to work on being more under control when on camera, I guess.

-Here’s a still image from a deleted bit from the video that we eliminated because it was just too strange. Normally, that wouldn’t be a problem, but a number of people have commented pointedly that Rock TVs are getting really weird lately, and we didn’t want to push things too much on this project. (That’s for NEXT video…)

Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Rock TV. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Christdome

1. Rypick says:

Thanks for cutting my scene, jerks!
    It is funny to me that we cut that scene, because it was deemed too weird, when the scene itself was a self-referential gag about how weird Rock TV’s have gotten lately!

2. Hema says:

Muppet baby Kirk Cameron!!!? YES!!!

3. Tim Hopps says:

I feel ya, Rypick. I too have been dumped to the cutting room floor by the RockTVPowersThatBe.

It’s nice to see that Luker is still popping up in these things… oddly comforting, as if the “good ol’ days” are making a cameo appearance.

The best part is when Peter fixes that guy’s hair.

4. Tim Hopps says:

In fact, I think it was you, Rypick, who cut my scene. Payback’s a bitch, eh?

5. Tim Hopps says:

Here I was feeling guilty because I hadn’t logged on to the JLP in weeks… so I log on today, thinking I’ll have all kinds of catching up to do, and… WHAT?? No posts in 6 weeks! Peter, it was nice of you, but you didn’t have to wait for me.

6. timhopps says:

The king is dead. Long live the king.

7. John says:

This blog is King Henry VIII, and it has gorged itself on destructive diet of women and excess. Also like Henry VIII, the JLP likely overstayed its welcome, and its now-rotting carcass will soon break free from its casket, leaving its corrupted remnants to be eaten by dogs.

It’s amazing how much fun history is when it exactly parallels modern society.

8. Tim Hopps says:

Or perhaps Peter is having his “lost weekend” in LA with May Pang and Harry Nilsson, drinking himself silly, doing buckets of drugs and being thrown out of nightclubs for obnoxious behavior. That’d be cool.

9. John says:

This site is now the #1 search result for “slam the gas pedal and embrace the consequences”

You’ll be hearing from our lawyers shortly.